Iola's adoption of the International Codes reflects the City's progressive nature. By implementing the more standardized International Codes, a rarity in smaller cities, Iola reflects its up to date approach to code enforcement. For more on Iola's Municipal Code, follow the link on the left. Iola has adopted the 2000 edition of the International Residential Code, International Building Code, International Plumbing Code, International Mechanical Code and the International Property Maintenance Code. Iola has also adopted the 2002 edition of the National Electrical Code.
The City of Iola requires building permits for certain projects. The best way to find out if you need a permit is to call our office at (620)365-4903 and discuss your project with one of our inspectors.
Permits are generally required for the following:
- New buildings
- Additions (bedrooms, bathrooms, family rooms, etc.)
- Accessory buildings (garages, storage sheds, fences, etc.)
- Renovations (garage conversions, basement furnishings, kitchen remodels, re-roofing, etc,)
- Electrical systems (new breaker box or service, rewires, major repairs, etc.)
- Plumbing systems (re-plumbing, new sewer, water or gas service, replace water heater, etc.)
- Mechanical and HVAC systems (heating, air-conditioning, ventilation systems installation and replacements)
- Permits may be required for other projects as determined by one of our inspectors or City policy.
To speed up the permit approval process you may print out the following application forms, fill in the blanks and bring it into our office. Many permits can be approved and issued the same day. Other permits may require a site inspection and may take longer to review and approve. We will strive to approve your permit as quickly as possible. Please plan ahead for your permit, some permits require a few days of review prior to issuing a permit. You will find permit applications to the right side of this page.